IS YOUR BABY CRANKY AND GRIM THESE DAYS??
Babies can easily get cranky. The reasons can be endless like hunger, sleeplessness, dirty diaper, tummy troubles, illness, colic, need for attention, need to burp or some general discomfort. One major reason that is often missed by parents is Teething. Teething is one of the most common reasons for babies to cry, especially if he or she is of 4-6 months of age.
WHAT IS TEETHING?
Teething is the process by which a baby’s teeth break through the gums. Teething phase for the baby starts between 4-6 months of age. The medical term for teething is Odontiasis.
During the teething period babies may have a significant discomfort and irritation.
Common symptoms of teething include
- · tender and swollen gums
- · drooling
- · increased chewing
- · crying without a reason
- · sleeplessness and
- · Mild fever.
Sometimes a fluid filled area may be seen over the erupting tooth. The most common symptom that indicates baby has entered the teething stage includes chewing on their fingers and their toys; this is an attempt to reduce the discomfort or the pain on their gums.
Teething babies can feel better when a mild pressure is applied on their gums. Doctors believe that by gently rubbing the baby’s gum with clean fingers or making the baby bite a clean washcloth or a cold spoon or a teether will help in pain reduction. Teethers are toys special made for teething babies that helps the baby to overcome any irritation or discomfort.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A TEETHER?
Few basic things to be noted while buying a teether
- · Check whether the teether is non-toxic or chemical free.
- · Your baby will be putting the teether in their mouth quite often, so the teether you choose must be smooth and should not have any sharp edges.
- · The teether you choose must not be too heavy for the baby to handle.
- · Choose a teether which is strong, so that it does not easily break by constant chewing.
There are plenty of teethers available in the market, always look out for the best and buy the best.